Question of the Week
Question: "I have held off as long as I can but now my children are telling me I need to get onto a Social Media site. Which site would you recommend?"
Answer: You may recognize this question from two weeks ago. At that time, I talked about Facebook and Instagram. Today, I'll talk about Twitter and Snapchat.
But, first, I need to share several important things about all the social media sites:
1) If you would like a social media site with total control of your privacy, I have some land in the Everglades you might want to purchase at a good price! Although social media sites are getting much better at privacy, none of them are perfect. You WILL give up some of your personal privacy when you join a social media site.
2) Social media sites can be addictive and time-consuming! There is so much info, tons of beautiful pictures from around the world and so many interesting people on social media sites that it can consume your entire day, if you let it. It's important to manage your time on social media sites.
3) Social media connections are not the same as in-person conversations. The written word can sometimes be misinterpreted because you can't hear the inflection in the other person's voice.
Having said all that, let's talk briefly about two more social media sites you might consider joining. (You can re-read about the first two by clicking the button below this article.)
Twitter used to be my favorite social media but, thanks to Instagram, it has fallen to second place with me. Here are the good things about Twitter:
1) Messages are limited to 140 characters so you're not subject to someone going on and on.
2) It is very fast-paced so you can jump in and out of conversations at will.
3) It is often the first place news breaks.
Here are some negative things about Twitter:
1) Message are limited to 140 characters so you have to learn new vocabulary shortcuts. (Examples: GR8 for "great;" IMHO for "in my humble opinion;" 2 for "two" or "too;" etc.
2) It is very fast-paced so you can easily miss conversations.
3) It is often the first place mis-information (news stories without confirmation.) appear. For instance, Betty White has been declared dead several times on Twitter much to her own amazement.
Snapchat allows a person to text or send pictures or video which then disappear appear after 24 hours. The app originally was used widely by teens to send sexy photos to their friends. However, the app has now become a major form of communication for celebrities and on-air news personnel and others. Snapchat is a fun way to share videos and pictures because of the built-in filters. The down side to Snapchat is that it takes some getting used to in terms of how to use it.